Chinese handling on Mac OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Post any defects you find in the released or beta versions of the ImageMagick software here. Include the ImageMagick version, OS, and any command-line required to reproduce the problem. Got a patch for a bug? Post it here.
StanleyChow
Authentication code: 6789

Chinese handling on Mac OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Post by StanleyChow »

I have run across a really strange problem with -caption for Chinese characters. The goal is to annotate photos with comments that happens to be in Chinese. Further more, The Chinese text has a mix of Simplified and Traditional characters. In OSX 10.7.5 (Lion), with ImageMagick 6.8.8.6 (and Ghostscript 9.07, XQuartz 2.7.5), the "convert -caption" commands works just fine with fonts like STKaiti that have glyphs for both sets of codepoints. Image Both the simplified and traditional characters show up correctly. ( For those interested: the sample character is Electricity; the simplified version is literally the bottom half of the traditional version with the top half meaning Rain).

For fonts like BiauKai that have only glyphs for traditional, the simplified character is show as "?" Image The command used is

Code: Select all

convert -background lightblue -fill blue -pointsize 48  -font BiauKai label:'trad:電 simp:电'   BiauKai.gif
The problem happens on OSX 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) with the exact same versions of ImageMagick, Ghostscript and XQuartz. Each font will only show one version: STKaiti Image now has traditional as "?" It seems to refuse to do mixed fonts at all!

I have used fontbook to confirm that STKaiti does have both version (simplified and traditional) in both system - just cut and paste in

Code: Select all

trad:電 simp:电
. I also notice that STKaiti font edition have change from 6.1.d1e1 to 8.0d1e2 but they both have 32,493 codepoints whereas Biaukai only have 13,698 codepoints.