Export layers to individual psd file keeping guides

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
vincent.tschanz
Authentication code: 1152

Export layers to individual psd file keeping guides

Post by vincent.tschanz »

I have a huge PSB (large photoshop document format) containing hundred of layers and guides.

I use the following to export each layer to a png using the layer name as filename and keeping the document size :

Code: Select all

convert -dispose Background huge-file.psb -layers coalesce -set filename:layers %l %[filename:layers].png
Is there a way to export to individual psd files instead of png ? (if I specify .psd as output format, nothing is written) And keeping the guides present in the original file?

Thank you.
fmw42

Re: Export layers to individual psd file keeping guides

Post by fmw42 »

Your command works fine for me on IM 6.9.10.68 Q16 and IM 7.0.8.68 Mac OSX with a layered PSD file.

What is your Imagemagick version and platform/OS?

Perhaps your are running out of RAM or space in the /tmp directory? See https://imagemagick.org/Usage/files/#massive
vincent.tschanz

Post by vincent.tschanz »

I'm using ImageMagick 7.0.8-68 on Macos 10.14.6
16GB RAM

I see no error message when I run

Code: Select all

convert -dispose Background file.psb -layers coalesce -set filename:layers %l %[filename:layers].psd
But nothing is written

The 'magick' process go up to 14GB, then stabilize at 12.2GB until the end.

Edit: I guess the memory is the problem. If I try with only one layer [1] I get a result, but the size is wrong, I get a quarter of the whole image. Maybe a compatibility issue with the latest Adobe CC format.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

Perhaps you are running out of space in your tmp directory. Look to see if it is filled with images that did not get deleted, esp. those belonging to Imagemagick.