What's the amount of information that I can extract

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Le9
Authentication code: 1152

What's the amount of information that I can extract

Post by Le9 »

Hello,

I am working on a little research project and I wanted to know if ImageMagick could help me, I was seeing the amount of information that you can get with "identify -verbose" but I am not sure if I can get any more.

I would be interested in things like comparing the most usual codecs used by HEIF with olders standards like JPEG 2000, JPEG...

So Im interested in the most amount of data possible, if I can compress or decompress with different decoders, times of compression, quality, size, memory usage. And how deep can I go into the data, because Im no good with coding, so I can't compile and analyze a reference software.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: What's the amount of information that I can extract

Post by snibgo »

Le9 wrote:... the amount of information that you can get with "identify -verbose" but I am not sure if I can get any more.
What more information do you want?

"identify -verbose" gives most or all of the metadata that was recorded in the input image file. In addition, it calculates statistics about the image: minimum and maximum values, etc.

You might want to compare image formats, or the codecs that read and write those formats. Personally, I generally care about: (1) how close a lossy-compressed image is to the source, (2) how small the resulting file is and (3) how long it takes to compress and decompress.

IM's "compare" gives the answer to question (1). Operating system tools tell me about size and time. They can also give CPU and memory usage, if that's what you want.

Because I also distribute images, I also care about whether common software can read the images.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com