Fred scripts are NOT working on 64 bit Windows 10

A plethora of command-line scripts that perform geometric transforms, blurs, sharpens, edging, noise removal, and color manipulations.
shubhra
Authentication code: 1152

Fred scripts are NOT working on 64 bit Windows 10

Post by shubhra »

Hi Team,

I was trying to use the FRED's scripts for noiseclearner and textclearner.

Downloaded the scripts from the respective links.

But, the scripts are 32 bit and they seems to be incompatible with the Windows 10 64 bit version

I have converted the script to application by saving it as .exe But I am not able to set the execute permission for the script?

Could you please let me know how to do it? I am new to imagemagick

Below is the error message:
C:\Users\shubhra.garg>
C:\Users\shubhra.garg>convert noise_preview.jpeg -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle miff:- | textcleaner -f 25 -o 10 - result.png
convert.exe: unable to open image `noise_preview.jpeg': No such file or directory @ error/blob.c/OpenBlob/2675.
convert.exe: no images defined `miff:-' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3212.
This version of C:\Users\shubhra.garg\textcleaner.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information and then contact the software publisher.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: Fred scripts are NOT working on 64 bit Windows 10

Post by snibgo »

shubhra wrote:I have converted the script to application by saving it as .exe
Huh?? Scripts should not have an ".exe" extension. That extension is only for binary programs (which includes "magick.exe", "convert.exe", etc.

Personally, for bash scripts I use the extension ".sh". Under Cygwin, they also work with no extension at all. I dislike the Unix convention of omitting extensions for anything "runable", whether binary programs, shell scripts, or anything else. I prefer the Windows convention that any file is "runnable".
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

My scripts are unix scripts, not .bat scripts. So my scripts will not run under Windows, but will work in Windows 10 unix. But you have to run them from Windows 10 unix terminal, not a CMD window, I believe. So using Windows paths may not work under Unix. One of the Windows users such as snibgo can correct me if I am wrong about any of this. I do not use a PC.

Please see my home page for more detail about my scripts and using them on Windows 10 Unix.

Also see the post just above this one (at the top of the list in this forum) for a link to details about using them on Windows 10 Unix.. (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=25910)
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Under Windows 10, you can enable developers mode and install BASH. Here BASH is an instance of Ubuntu and is fully supported by Microsoft. From the BASH terminal windows, Fred's scripts will work flawlessly. Just install ImageMagick first with this command:

Code: Select all

apt install imagemagick
shubhra

Post by shubhra »

Hi magick user, I have ImageMagick installed over Windows 10 63 Bit. I have installed GIT also. From inside the GIT, where ALL executables are present, which supports Unix environment, I am trying to run Fred's script. I tried both the ways: using .sh and using .exe.

@Fred: But, convert works so easily and it is an EXE. I have checked it, that convert is also a exe, hence made textcleaner and noiseclearner as exe too :(
Then how convert script is different from textcleaner?

I do understand that you are stating that your scripts works well in Unix/Linux environment. Not meant for windows.

C:\Users\shubhra.garg>convert noise_preview.jpeg -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle -despeckle miff:- | textcleaner -f 25 -o 10 - result.png
C:\Users\shubhra.garg>convert result12.png -negate -lat 25x25+10% -negate result_preview_lat.jpg

C:\Users\shubhra.garg>convert r1.jpg -negate -lat 25x25+10% -negate r1_out.jpg

C:\Users\shubhra.garg>convert noise12.jpg -negate -lat 25x25+10% -negate noise12_out.jpg

C:\Users\shubhra.garg>convert noise12.jpg -negate -lat 25x25+10% -negate noise12_out.jpg

shubhra

Post by shubhra »

Also, can anybody please help me - how can I paste pictures of the documents here? So that you can suggest me the right tool and command to use?
I am very much new to Imagemagick itself.

Please tell me the steps.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

convert.exe is a Windows Imagemagick command, but it does not work in my scripts, because you need to run convert from inside a Unix environment.

But my scripts are coded with Unix shell commands in addition to Imagemagick commands. The shell commands will not work in Windows without a Unix environment. Windows .bat scripting is quite different from Unix shell scripting. Though there are similarities in types of commands.

I suggest that you install Imagemagick from binary and not from GIT. Then run your individual Imagemagick commands from any directory and not from where Imagemagick is installed.

If you want to use my scripts, then you will need to install a Unix version of Imagemagick within Window 10 Unix.

I do not understand why you are posting those commands. You do not describe why? They are proper Imagemagick commands only. So they should work from Windows. They do the basic command that my text cleaner uses. You can pipe other Imagemagick command line results to my scripts, but all must be done within Windows 10 Unix. Not all my scripts will accept miff:- input from a pipe.
shubhra

Post by shubhra »

Hi Fred,

I just posted those commands to let you know that convert.exe commands are working fine.
You can relate it to my question, when I asked you that convert.exe commands work but text clearner or noise cleaner was not working.
Hope this clarifies!

I am new to the point when you say : windows 10 Unix. I will try to figure it out , how to use those scripts.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Post by snibgo »

I suggest you write a simple bash script, and learn how to run it. For example, a file named myecho.sh might contain:

echo $PWD
When I run this command in Windows CMD the result is:

$PWD
But when I run the command in bash the result is:

/cygdrive/f/web/im
(In bash, $PWD is the current working directory.)
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

See https://www.howtogeek.com/249966/how-to ... indows-10/. Once you have that ready, then install Imagemagick in the unix environment. Sorry, I do not know what version to install on Windows 10 Unix. But once you do that, then my scripts should work. Sorry, I am not a Windows user, so I have no real experience other than Windows users have told me that it does work.

See links from a Google search for "using bash scripts on windows 10 unix" at

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... 8HMu_YO87U