What is DPC ? Do i need this feature?

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
richkingy
Authentication code: 1151

What is DPC ? Do i need this feature?

Post by richkingy »

Hi Guys,

This might be a bit of an amateur question but I'm doing some basic benchmarking of different ImageMagick configurations on our server and as part of this I'm disabling various features.

I've got my configuration down to these two.
FEATURES = DPC OpenMP

Can someone explain what DPC is? Do I need this? And how can it be disabled?
I've tried ./configure --disable-dpc and searched the Google machine but not finding anything about DPC.

Cheers,

Richard.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: What is DPC ? Do i need this feature?

Post by snibgo »

I think DPC in that context is Distributed Pixel Cache. See http://www.imagemagick.org/script/architecture.php

That feature flag is set in configure, after checking for socket support. I can't see what configure option will stop this from happening.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
cancerberosgx
Authentication code: 1152

Post by cancerberosgx »

snibgo wrote: 2016-06-29T01:49:42-07:00 I think DPC in that context is Distributed Pixel Cache. See http://www.imagemagick.org/script/architecture.php

That feature flag is set in configure, after checking for socket support. I can't see what configure option will stop this from happening.
I'm not sure... in configure.ac it just checks for socket library.

Code: Select all

#
# Find socket library
#
AC_SEARCH_LIBS(gethostbyname, resolv nsl)
AC_SEARCH_LIBS(socket, socket,
[
  AC_DEFINE([HAVE_SOCKET],[1],[Define to 1 if you have socket support.])
  MAGICK_FEATURES="DPC $MAGICK_FEATURES"
])
In my case, this was not enabled until now (using latest IM master) I changed just

--with-quantum-depth=8 --enable-hdri=no

and this is now enabled (instead of hdri)

FEATURES        = DPC Cipher
    DELEGATES       = mpeg fftw freetype jng jpeg lcms openjp2 png raw tiff webp zlib
==============================================================================
This is another context I found the this acronym (networking) - Would be awesome if somebody could clarify this since probably I don't need this feature or at least I would like what's it (in my case is particulary important to control enabled features). Thanks

https://developer.android.com/work/dpc/logging
This document explains how a device policy controller (DPC) logs network activity. Continue reading to learn how to add network logging to your DPC.
fmw42

Post by fmw42 »

I don't think it is the latter. I agree with snibgo - Distributed Pixel Cache.
cancerberosgx

Post by cancerberosgx »

Thanks! previous was the output of ./configure but then when I run `convert -version` it doesn't say anything about DPC so I guess that caused my confusion.