Extracting human body from a still image

Discuss digital image processing techniques and algorithms. We encourage its application to ImageMagick but you can discuss any software solutions here.
mojoworking123
Authentication code: 6789

Extracting human body from a still image

Post by mojoworking123 »

Hello everyone!

I'm new to Image Processing and I want to find hands and legs from a picture. I can't use background subtraction because my application has to take a picture only once and process information about body from it.
I guess I may use depth of the picture, but it seems pretty complicated to find depth of a still image. How to isolate body from a picture? I've been googling and researching for 5 days now. Please share your knowledge masters.
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: Extracting human body from a still image

Post by snibgo »

Step 1. Find an easier problem.

Step 2. Goto step 1.

The general problem is hard. Her hands are mostly hidden. Her left arm (on the right of the photo) blends with the background. Her outline is curved, where the rest of the scene has straight lines, so you might get some mileage from:

1. Find edges.

2. Eliminate straight lines.

3. Eliminate short lines.

4. You are left with the chair on the left, and the person. Well, probably just one head, one arm, one leg and two feet.

5. Skeletonise these shapes and count the line-ends. If it has fewer than 4 ends, it isn't a person.

The result is (most of) a person.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com