Just found out about IM, one question before I "get into it"

MagickWand for PHP is an object-oriented PHP interface to ImageMagick. Use this forum to discuss, make suggestions about, or report bugs concerning MagickWand for PHP.
chopthewood

Just found out about IM, one question before I "get into it"

Post by chopthewood »

I design and build artist portfolio sites. The one thing missing from my service has to do with image manipulation. Before I get too far into IM, I need to know if it can do what I need to get done. So, here is the situation:

My clients can modify their own portfolio sites; upload images, text etc via php/ html form. This much I have accomplished. However, I currently have them uploading a thumbnail size .jpg and a larger .jpg each of a specific maximum size (no longer than 100px on the longest side for the thumb, no more than 450 for the large image).

What I want them to be able to do is load just one image of their artwork, which is probably whatever they put onto their computer from their digital camera (most likely a large .jpg) I need IM to make the two images out of this one with the same size constraints (above). The thumb will be stored in one folder; the large image in another.

That's pretty much it. If I can control the quality of the .jpg then so much the better.
And if they upload a tiff instead of a .jpg?

I am capable in Flash, php and html but know nothing about IM. And what's this about a "magic wand" which appears to be some sort of tie between IM and php?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Bonzo

Re: Just found out about IM, one question before I "get into it"

Post by Bonzo »

I work with ImageMagick and the command line - I think there is more control that way; also API's are something else to learn and I do not need that at my age !

If you check out my site in my signature you will find some examples and some code you can modify to do everything you want. Assuming you have ImageMagick installed on your server !

I think tiff's can be a pain anyway but with ImageMagick you can load up to about 90 different image formats and save as any of the image formats in the same line of code.
chopthewood

Re: Just found out about IM, one question before I "get into it"

Post by chopthewood »

I'm not sure what you mean when you say IM and the command line but... I have my client sites on siteground.com who claims to have IM installed on their servers. I know what I want to do (as I already explained) just don't have a good overview as to how IM and Magick Wand fit into what I do with Flash,HTML and php. Not sure where to begin.

I'll take a look at what you offer. Any overview sketch on how this could work (a scenario) would be appreciated.

P.S. I don't think I'll have to deal with tiffs really, But it IS important that the size and file size of their submitted jps get reduced resulting in a good quality image of their artwork.
thanks again