Imagick & PDF - The Delegate From Hades

IMagick is a native PHP extension to create and modify images using the ImageMagick API. ImageMagick Studio LLC did not write nor does it maintain the IMagick extension, however, IMagick users are welcome to discuss the extension here.
jeffmlevy

Imagick & PDF - The Delegate From Hades

Post by jeffmlevy »

Good afternoon.

I've been using Imagick with various rasterized formats to great effect for some time. Only recently have I been tasked with doing some PDF related tasks, and I have run into some ... trouble. After spending the greater part of the day browsing posts on this forum, and others, I realize that I am not the first (nor the last) person to experience these issues.

In short, I have gs installed. Apache can find it in the expected location, /usr/bin.

The problem I'm currently experiencing is thus: Reading in a PDF string from a postgres LOB results in abject failure. I receive:

" Postcript delegate failed `': No such file or directory" -- The 'tick' is not of my creation, it's what's being spat out by PHP.

I am using Ubuntu 8.something.or.other, latest updates, Factory fresh, I have not recompiled a thing.

Details:

Code: Select all

$i = new Imagick();

try {
    $i->readImageBlob($lob);
} catch (Exception $e) {
    printf("Something terrible has happened: %s", $e->getMessage());
}
results: The error, mentioned above.

~~~

What's odd is that I am able to run this script from the CLI, as both my user, and as www-data (via su -c).

I do receive some interesting gobbeldygook at the CLI, however, so the execution is not without errant happenings, thus:

**** Warning: CS/cs (setcolorspace) operand not a name: [/ICCBased {36 0 resolveR}] ****
   **** Warning: CS/cs (setcolorspace) operand not a name: [/ICCBased -dict-] ****
   **** This file had errors that were repaired or ignored.
   **** The file was produced by: 
   **** >>>> Adobe PDF Library 8.0 <<<<
   **** Please notify the author of the software that produced this
   **** file that it does not conform to Adobe's published PDF
   **** specification.
Moreover, I check apache's error log, and I see this:

GPL Ghostscript 8.61: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
~~~~

If anyone can offer some guidance on troubleshooting & solving this most painful of situations, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks.
jeffmlevy

Re: Imagick & PDF - The Delegate From Hades

Post by jeffmlevy »

An interesting development, I think...

I've written out the lob to /tmp/output.pdf, and read it in using $image->readImage('/tmp/output.pdf') ... NO ERRORS.

AHA! says I, must be an issue with Imagick::ReadImageBlob() ??
mkoppanen

Re: Imagick & PDF - The Delegate From Hades

Post by mkoppanen »

Hello,

the last time I tested reading PDF from blob (around ImageMagick 6.3.something) it failed. All thou it says this in wand/ChangeLog:

2008-02-23 6.3.9-0 Cristy <quetzlzacatenango@image...>
* Patch MagickReadImageBlob() to support Postscript which does not have
native blob support.

I don't know if this includes PDFs.
Mikko Koppanen
My blog: http://valokuva.org