All my CR2 conversions are yellowed

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
doncaruana
Authentication code: 1152

All my CR2 conversions are yellowed

Post by doncaruana »

When I convert CR2 to JPG, I end up getting this yellowing effect. This is just a plain conversion, nothing fancy at all and I'm using 7.0.8-66 Q16 x64 on Windows 10. What can I do to get rid of this effect (or where is it coming from?)

Original:

Conversion:
snibgo
Authentication code: 1151

Re: All my CR2 conversions are yellowed

Post by snibgo »

I suspect a colour-balance problem.

You don't say what command you used, or what delegate your version of IM is using to process the raw file. If you browse this problem in these forums, you will find my general advice: use a program such as dcraw directly to process raw files.
snibgo's IM pages: im.snibgo.com
doncaruana

Post by doncaruana »

I just used magick <source.cr2> <target.jpg> after an install, so everything "out of the box". I did see some stuff about dcraw but wasn't able to figure out how to use it for this yet. I'll see if I can find some instructions I can follow (unless you have a handy reference! :) ).

Thanks
doncaruana

Post by doncaruana »

Well...I tried just a plain run of dcraw...dcraw -v -W -O <target.jpg> <source.cr2>
The output wasn't readable by windows. But then I did a convert/resize of that using imagemagick to a new jpg and that one has the same issue.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

dcraw can write PGM or TIFF format only. It can't create JPG files.

dcraw (and other raw processors) have many controls. IM doesn't provide simple access to those controls. For basic conversion to sRGB I suggest:

Code: Select all

dcraw -6 -T -w -O out.tiff in.CR2
This makes a TIFF file, which IM can then convert to JPG.
doncaruana

Post by doncaruana »

snibgo wrote: 2019-09-24T06:18:51-07:00 dcraw can write PGM or TIFF format only. It can't create JPG files.

dcraw (and other raw processors) have many controls. IM doesn't provide simple access to those controls. For basic conversion to sRGB I suggest:

Code: Select all

dcraw -6 -T -w -O out.tiff in.CR2
This makes a TIFF file, which IM can then convert to JPG.
Coming back to check after I went off and worked at this for a while and that ended up being exactly what I used! :) Ended up looking pretty darned close to the original too. Thanks
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Glad that helps. But note that this isn't "close to the original" because there is no original. There are only different renderings of the raw (mosaiced) image, which might include a JPEG rendering made by the camera or by other software.