MagickNet

ImageMagickObject is a Windows COM+ interface to ImageMagick. COM+, Visual Basic, and Delphi users should post to this discussion group.
vandelay

MagickNet

Post by vandelay »

I am trying to compile MagicNet with MS VS2005 Express c++ Edition and for the life of me I can't get it. I've downloaded the Image Macigk Core and the ghostscript so everything is linking correctly but when I go to build it I get over 600 errors. Does someone have a cheat sheet for building this in VS2005 express?

Thanks,
Craig
magick
Site Admin

Re: MagickNet

Post by magick »

You'll need to contact the author of MagickNet directly. We did not write, nor do we support, MagickNet. Given that, its possible another user may be able to help you. However, MagickNet is quite new so we suspect the user base is quite small.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Thank you for the reply. Is Mick O'Neill out there? Does anyone have his/her contact info or user name on this forum?

I would love to return the favor of getting this program compiled and assist in any documentation that needs to get done for future users.

Thanks,
Craig
Midi_Mick

Post by Midi_Mick »

Hi - sorry I've taken so long to get on here, but been flat-out recently. I have just created a forum for MagickNet, so any problems can be posted there from now on.

Within the next couple of hours, I will also upload the project files that I used to build the MagickNet dlls. You will probably have to modify the directories referenced in these files, but all the other settings should be just right in order to compile the project.

Note that is is a small modification required to the Magick core headers in order to allow the project to compile. This is described in the "Getting Started" page in the documentation.

I am hoping to have a bit more time over the next couple of weeks, to get all the doco completed. I look forward to hearing everyone's comments on the forums.

Best Regards,

Mick O'Neill
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Mick,

On http://midimick.com/magicknet/magickDoc.html you say that the project is a static dll but in the image on this page you have the dynamic MT dll selected. I am taking this as an error and I will try to build it with the static MT dll.

I also gave up on the express edition and am now using the VS2005 Professional version because the mfc from the platform sdk just would not want to link.

Thanks,
Craig
Midi_Mick

Post by Midi_Mick »

What this selection is for is the C runtime libraries, and how they are linked into the ImageMagick library. A .NET DLL requires the dynamic MT runtime libraries, and thus the ImageMagick library must have them accessed the same way. If you statically link the runtimes here, then when you compile the MagickNet, it does not know where to look for the runtimes, and will generate link errors; MagickNet will be looking in the C runtime DLL's, when the runtimes have been actually linked into the ImageMagick.lib files.

I know this is a bit confusing, but it was the only way I could get everyrhing to hold together.

Mick
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Mick,

This is what I have done so far using VS2005 Professional 90 day trial (Version 8.0.50727.762 SP.050727-7600)

1. Downloaded ImageMagick Windows source (version 6.3.3) and compiled the configure.exe program as a release version to make a VS2005 solution file.
2. Ran the configure.exe to and configured it just like the image on your web site.
3. Edited the MagickCore.h file to include && !defined(MAGICK_STATIC_LINK) on line 58. Actually it was already there.
4. Compiled the program as a release and received 539 warnings but it compiled.
5. Ran the test
6. Downloaded MagickNet and the project file from your website.
7. Opened and upgraded the project file and edited the relative path to Imagemagick from 6.3.1 to 6.3.3 and set the build to release.
8. Compiled and received: Error 1 fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'CORE_RL_coders_.lib' MagickNet

I am going to play around with your solution file and remove some links that are dead like th coders library. But is there any possibility of you emailing the compiled MagickNet DLL to me? or maybe post it on your website as a download? I am just working on a ASP.net page and your program is the last piece that I need to get the site in testing phase.

Let me know what I can try and I'll do it. I would love to help out in testing or documentation.

Thanks,
Craig
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Mick,

Ok I got it to compile as a release with 6 warnings:
Warning 1 warning LNK4248: unresolved typeref token (01000029) for 'MagickLib._ViewInfo'; image may not run MagickOptions.obj
Warning 2 warning LNK4248: unresolved typeref token (01000029) for 'MagickLib._ViewInfo'; image may not run MagickNet.obj
Warning 3 warning LNK4248: unresolved typeref token (01000029) for 'MagickLib._ViewInfo'; image may not run MagickImages.obj
Warning 4 warning LNK4248: unresolved typeref token (01000029) for 'MagickLib._ViewInfo'; image may not run MagickImage.obj
Warning 5 warning LNK4248: unresolved typeref token (01000029) for 'MagickLib._ViewInfo'; image may not run MagickGeometry.obj
Warning 6 warning LNK4248: unresolved typeref token (01000029) for 'MagickLib._ViewInfo'; image may not run MagickColor.obj

I edited the project file and removed; CORE_DB_coders_.lib CORE_DB_filters_.lib from the AdditionalDependencies declaration. So I am going to continue with with my asp.net page and see how she works. Again I would love to help out so just let me know how I can help out.

Thanks,
Craig
Midi_Mick

Post by Midi_Mick »

Hi Craig,

At the moment, I am having problems with my machine at home...but as soon as I get them sorted, I will look further into this. I know I do use the coders library in the MagickNet code, which provides information about the types that are available to MagickNet. What I CAN do for you is upload a copy of the project file I used to build the ImageMagick libraries - including the RL_Coders.lib file. (Note: those 500 odd warnings is about right, due to Microsoft taking the standards into their own hands again, and deprecating a large portion of the standard C library).

I am fairly new to the whole .NET thing myself, so what worries me about uploading the dll is that I have not included any assembly info into it, and I wanted to check up on all this before posting in order to make sure I got it right. I'll upload what I have, probaly on the weekend my time (I am at GMT + 10), and perhaps I can take you up on your offer, and look at the type of info that needs to go into the assembly so that it can be safely distributed.

I will upload what I can when I get home from work tonight.

Mick
ChillAxen

Post by ChillAxen »

HAve you released a compiled version of the DLL yet? I have never used C++ so I have no clue how to use the GUI to compile your source and I really need to use this in ASP.net. Not being able to convert my images is setting me days back in development. On unix I simply just made calls to the files. This works for 'identify' just fine using WScript.Shell.Start, but for some reason Convert wont work. Even inside a bat, it does not execute =/.

I would rather use a DLL Anyways as to Im sure it has been interaction and performance to run right with the application as apposed to externally.

Please let me know.
Midi_Mick

Post by Midi_Mick »

Hi ChillAxen,

If you could head off to the MagickNet forum on my site (http://midimick.com/magicknet/magickDoc.html), and PM me with your e-mail address, I will e-mail you what I have. There will be no guarantees with it, and apparently, you will also need the C runtime dll's, but I will help you out best I can. Have the weekend coming up, so I should be able to get a bit of time to do some stuff.

Mick
ChillAxen

Post by ChillAxen »

After a few hours and thanks to a nice doc posted on the other forums I got it going and compiled it =]. Thank you though
lzw1015bean

Post by lzw1015bean »

hi, i'm a newer, i want to compiler MagickNet, but I can't find out these libs
Do someone could help me?

CORE_RL_bzlib_.lib
CORE_RL_coders_.lib
CORE_RL_filters_.lib
CORE_RL_jbig_.lib
CORE_RL_jpeg_.lib
CORE_RL_magick_.lib
CORE_RL_png_.lib
CORE_RL_tiff_.lib
CORE_RL_ttf_.lib
CORE_RL_wand_.lib
CORE_RL_zlib_.lib
CORE_RL_jp2_.lib
CORE_RL_wmf_.lib
CORE_RL_lcms_.lib
lzw1015bean

Post by lzw1015bean »

that's ok, i have complied my project, but il miss until un lib.
CORE_RL_coders_.lib

anyone kown why?
rsborn

Post by rsborn »

One thing that burned me here was the way imageMagick compiles that I wasn't really aware of. If you build the debug version you get libs like CORE_DB_xxx.lib but when you compile in Release mode, those turn into CORE_RL_xxx.lib. It seems you did figure that part out now that I looked again but you are having trouble finding the RL_CODERS, I can't find that either so I removed it from the project and everything compiles. I think Mick posted earlier that this was needed for some functionality but he has not posted an update. I have only used very little functionality so I may just not need anything that requres that library. According to the imageMagick site, these functions have been deprecated.

I did get my Magicnet.dll to compile successfully but I can't seem to get it to actually statically include the dependencies, it seems so simple but I just cannot figure it out.

Rick