minimum fileset to re-dist IMobject?

ImageMagickObject is a Windows COM+ interface to ImageMagick. COM+, Visual Basic, and Delphi users should post to this discussion group.
brainlord

minimum fileset to re-dist IMobject?

Post by brainlord »

What is minimum fileset I need to re-distribute only IMobject? (and not full IM)

I'm guessing its just the DLL and a GPL license, right?
magick
Site Admin

Re: minimum fileset to re-dist IMobject?

Post by magick »

When you build ImageMagick, numerous DLL's, executables, configuration files, etc., are placed in the ImageMagick-6.4.3/VisualMagick/bin folder. You need to include all of these files in your redistribution archive. The ImageMagick license is not GPL, but it should be included with your redistribution archive.
brainlord

Post by brainlord »

From the website:
"Building ImageMagickObject requires Microsoft Visual C++ 7.0 as delivered with Microsoft's Visual Studio .NET package. See the Windows compilation instructions to get ImageMagick itself built before building the ImageMagick COM+ component."

I don't have any of that. And why would I need to build a DLL (or a whole folder full of stuff) that I already have?

I'm a humble VBA coder, I'm using a single line of code to call a single DLL, (ImageMagickObject.dll) to covert a PICT to a PNG.

My "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-6.4.3-Q16\ImageMagickObject" folder contains a readme.txt and two test scripts. '
I don't a have a "/VisualMagick/bin" folder. (is there one I can download?)

But I'm pretty sure I don't need all 20 MBs of IM exes just to support one 388Kb DLL.

I really like IM, but If I have one negative comment, its they way you guys have lumped everything together. I've got folders full of IM Perl scripts, and C++ code, and and IM source code and all kinds of stuff I really don't understand. I get that IM is very powerful and can do many things but when the examples show doing several things at once its very confusing.

so I ask again besides "numerous DLL's, executables, configuration files, etc."

What is minimum fileset I need to re-distribute only IMobject?
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

You could toss the command line utilities, animate.exe, convert.exe, etc.-- you don't need them with ImageMagickObject You won't need Magick++ so out it goes. ffmpeg.exe is only necessary if you want to support MPEG-2, MPEG-4, etc. Next toss PerlMagick and X11 (you may need to build from source to eliminate the need for the X11 DLL). Who needs documentation, the www folder is history. You can delete any formats you won't need in the modules folder. Who uses PNG anyway? Its history. Whatever is left is your minimal fileset.
brainlord

Post by brainlord »

I'm really trying here, but I'm at the edge of my knowledge and from this last post, I can't tell if you're giving me a quick techy answer, or if you're just being flip and are now pissed at me for some reason.

I can't be the first guy in the world who wants a clean com object install.

Now, I personally have have two IM folders: 1. on my desktop some 53 MBs of perl scripts etc, and 2. The installed one in my Program files folder which contains a bunch of exe's dll's sample images and stuff.

Assuming you mean the Program Files folder: Here's what I could glean from you're answer:'

"You could toss the command line utilities, animate.exe, convert.exe, etc....Magick++ so out it goes. ffmpeg.exe is only necessary if you want to support MPEG-2, MPEG-4, etc. "
--- So, all the executables go?

"You won't need Magick++ so out it goes."
--- do you mean "CORE_RL_Magick++_.dll"

"Next toss PerlMagick and X11..."
---I see an x11.dll file, but not any PerlMagick in my installed stuff.

"(you may need to build from source to eliminate the need for the X11 DLL)."
---I told you I can't do a build (not being a C++ user) so I DO need x11.dll then??

"Who needs documentation, the www folder is history."
---well, I did, but honestly my end-users won't. but can I also assume they won't need sample pics, an uninstall folder or the ImageMagickObject sample scripts? So that just leaves the config folder and the modules folder, right?

"You can delete any formats you won't need in the modules folder. Who uses PNG anyway? Its history."
--- well, I need PNG, and PICT, as I said. but that's all, so all of the other "IM_MOD_RL_*.dll" files can go?

That will certainly trim things down,but I still see some other dlls in the root folder that look like they may be optional, like "CORE_RL_jpeg_.dll"
I'm not reading jpegs, nor jp2, or tiff, or ttf. can they go too?

lastly whats:dcraw.exe and Core_RL xlib, zlib, and wand. dll? are they required

thanks
b
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

If you do not want to read JPEG images, CORE_RL_jpeg_.dll should be able to be deleted however there may be some runtime dependency on it. The best thing to do is move it somewhere and run your VB script and see if it complains.

dcraw.exe is only necessary if you want to support camera images (*.cr2). The Wand library is necessary for ImageMagickObject to work.
masken

Post by masken »

I also got the impression from the COM+ documentation page that the ImageMagickObject.dll could be taken from a "full" installation and installed separately if all you want is the COM+ object.

Reading this reply though, it seems there are more files needed (which I've also concluded by trying to regsvr32 the ImageMagickObject.dll distributed with the Windows download - which only leads to an error message).

It would be great if a list of files/dependencies that ImageMagickObject.dll has could be compiled so that one knows what's needed to get a COM+ only variant.
brainlord

Post by brainlord »

masken knows what I'm talking about.

I've been trying and I STILL don't have a working distributable. :<
This this really frustrating, as its the last issue I have to solve before distribution and I'm stuck here.

before I found on the website:
"Building ImageMagickObject requires Microsoft Visual C++ 7.0..." which I don't have.

but now I just found the "advanced-windows-installation.html" page which has a section called

"Create a Self-Installing Binary Distribution"
containing these instructions:

Prerequisites
1. Download and install Inno Setup 5.
2. Download and install ActiveState ActivePerl.

Run the Configure Wizard
Build ImageMagick
Build ImageMagickObject
BuildImageMagickObject clean
BuildImageMagickObject release
Build PerlMagick
Create the Self-installing ImageMagick Binary Distribution

is THIS what i should do?
are these all required steps? or are these options? (remember I just need imObject and PICT to PNG)

and these instructions are pretty terse, is there a walkthrough online somewhere?

ANY HELP appreciated
TIA
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

You don't need the Inno Setup installer if you don't want to utilize the Window registry. The default source build is an "uninstalled" version. Run the configure utility and generate a static workspace. Fire the workspace and build the ImageMagick binaries. Now go to the ImageMagick-6.4.4\VisualMagick\bin folder and it should contain all the files you need to include in your distribution. As discussed you can remove some of the files such as dcraw.exe if you don't want to read raw camera formats for example.
brainlord

Post by brainlord »

"Run the configure utility and generate a static workspace. Fire the workspace and build the ImageMagick binaries."??

WHAT? :shock:

I'm sure its just me. But I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm a VB / SQL guy.
How should I know if I "don't want to utilize the Window registry." Do I need to or not? You tell me.
All I know is that my current prototype installed app seems to fail on the line:
Set objMagImage = CreateObject("ImageMagickObject.MagickImage.1")
While that works on dev machines.

But you never answered the questions:
Do I NEED to build from source or can I just use existing binaries?
Do I NEED to edit the Reg?
Do I NEED to "install" IM or can it just work as just a bunch of files in a folder.
If its a folder where do I put that folder? (add it to %PATH%? or in my app folder? or in Windows?)

Look, is there someone my boss can pay to get me out of this?
I mean do you know some starving coder out there who knows what you're talking about and can build me the installer I need? (the way you describe it it sounds like it will take ten minutes). I'm running out of options here.

but honestly man, every post I read from you gets me more and more lost.
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

Do I NEED to build from source or can I just use existing binaries?
If you want a minimal file set you need to build ImageMagick from source.
Do I NEED to edit the Reg?
Not if you build ImageMagick from source. The default build does not require the Windows registry.
Do I NEED to "install" IM or can it just work as just a bunch of files in a folder.
If you build ImageMagick from source you can put the files from the ImageMagick-6.4.4\VisualMagick\bin folder into whatever folder you want and it should work without complaint.
brainlord

Post by brainlord »

Thanks
I'll go try to follow those instructions.

I'll let you know,
brainlord

Post by brainlord »

wait.. I think I understand now:

the instructions on the "advanced-windows-installation.html" page don't negate the line:
"Building ImageMagickObject requires Microsoft Visual C++ 7.0..."

I do still need VC++ right? (and activePERL)! oh.

If so, then I'm out of luck.

and then I'm back to the question: Is there someone who can build this installer, wait no not an installer, this file subset for us?

we know that at least myself and masken need it
masken

Post by masken »

The ultimate goal would be an redistributable MSI-package for the COM+ object only, that supports silent installation so it could be pushed with Active Directory or SMS-server for example.
brainlord

Post by brainlord »

I finally hired a C++ coder (at rentacoder.com) had HIM read all this, and he made me a single (4MB!) DLL that registers.

its bigger than I had hoped. but it works.

I think it only handles my file formats (PICT and PNG) so it wont work for you.

But it can be done.
those foreign coders work REAL cheap ;) I guy in China did this for me for $35!
I'm gonna start farming out more of my coding headaches!

HTH