Packaging an application that uses the ImageMagick C API

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
Alicia105
Authentication code: 1152

Packaging an application that uses the ImageMagick C API

Post by Alicia105 »

I've created a little Windows app that uses the ImageMagick C API but have run into a bit of a brick wall. The app works fine and I'm ready to share it with a few others in our organisation but I can't find documentation on distributing such an app without installing ImageMagick on the target machine.

Does anyone here have information, or a link to information, that details how to package this up for distribution? What DLLs are required and which one(s) need to registered with Windows? The target users will be on a mix of XP and Win7.
rodlie
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Packaging an application that uses the ImageMagick C API

Post by rodlie »

You should do a custom build of ImageMagick for the targeted platform (XP in your case), I recommend doing a static build with zero-conf enabled. You should not deploy an application depending on the official DLL's in my opinion, but if you do, it works as with any application you deploy on Windows... include the required DLL's in the same folder as the EXE (if you don't know what your EXE depend on use Dependency Walker or something similar).