Free interactive image editor

Discuss digital image processing techniques and algorithms. We encourage its application to ImageMagick but you can discuss any software solutions here.
ivanhoe90
Authentication code: 1151

Free interactive image editor

Post by ivanhoe90 »

Hi,

my name is Ivan and I am making a photo editor Photopea with a strong support for PSD (Photoshop), XCF (Gimp) and Sketch (Sektch App) formats. It is written completely in Javascript and works in any (modern) browser on any operating system at www.Photopea.com.

My goal is not to replace Photoshop or Gimp, but to "give a chance" to people, who can not use Photoshop for some reason (it is too expensive, or you edit PSD just once a year, or you have Linux, etc.), but still need to open their old PSD files. I think that right now, there is no software with a good support for PSD on the market (except of PS).

My editor has the support for most of data, that can be stored in PSD files (layers, rastor/vector masks, layer styles, adjustment layers, clipping masks, smart objects, smart filters and more) - all this can be read from the PSD, edited, and saved back into a PSD.

I decided to tell you about Photopea, because in the last version, I have added the scripting functionality. Scripts can be executed through the API, so Photopea can be used to process files in batches. Everything works locally (files are not uploaded anywhere) and is quite fast. I am also accepting feature requests at GitHub. If the feature is simple, it can be added to the live version within an hour :) the same holds for bugs.

I am not in any way trying to convince you to start using Photopea instead of ImageMagick :) (e.g. PP has an amazing inpainting, but it is still missing many functions of ImageMagick). I would like to get some feedback from your community :)

Aslo, if you have a blog, I would really appreciate, if you could mention it. I tried to write about PP to many blog owners, but they usually ask money for an article, which I dont have yet. If you wish, you can follow PP on Facebook or Twitter.
Last edited by ivanhoe90 on 2017-07-27T01:17:18-07:00, edited 1 time in total.
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Free interactive image editor

Post by fmw42 »

Do you have any interest in contributing your expertise about PSD files to help improve the PSD read and write functionality in ImageMagick?

P.S. your link to your web site is broken, because it is a relative link and not absolute. It needs to be https://www.photopea.com
ivanhoe90

Post by ivanhoe90 »

PSD reading and writing is quite hard task. I can't contribute, because I already have a lot of work with PP. But I have released many parts of Photopea as open-source, see https://github.com/photopea . E.g. a lossy PNG encoder (with quantization) is really good.

P.S. I fixed the link, thanks!
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

I think it is very good I could see and modify my Photoshop file layers and it is quick. Not sure I would ever use it though.

One thing I noticed is I had a message something like "Escape to ....." What I had to do was click the tick icon so I would say the message is not that clear.

I added some text and saved it. When opening in CS6 I had an error about a different text engine and missing font but the file still opened. The text had a warning but changed the font and everything seems back to normal. Might be worth making your default font one that Photoshop users would have installed?
ivanhoe90

Post by ivanhoe90 »

Thanks. I have tested it with PSDs having hundreds of megabytes. You can use it whenever you don't have PS near you.

Escaping is described here. You could simply press Escape on the keyboard.

Text engine: you probably have some older version of Photoshop. You would see the same message, if you had a PSD file from a newer photoshop. The new engine is necessary e.g. for the right-to-left text.

Sadly, all fonts available in Windows or Mac OS, and all fonts that Adobe adds to your comptuer are commercial fonts and I don't have a licence to distribute them this way. But you can load your own fonts into Photopea (File - Open). But free fonts are becoming more and more popular and I often see PSDs, which contain free fonts only (Lato, Roboto, etc.). Photopea already has over 3000 free fonts.