large tiff ping problem.

Questions and postings pertaining to the development of ImageMagick, feature enhancements, and ImageMagick internals. ImageMagick source code and algorithms are discussed here. Usage questions which are too arcane for the normal user list should also be posted here.
wizard29
Authentication code: 6789

large tiff ping problem.

Post by wizard29 »

Hi.
I will try to describe a problem.
Before the start to read an image I call the Magick::Image::ping function. The source file in this case is located on the another machine in our local network. From time to time I caught the application crashes in this case into the Magick::Image::ping function. An exception contains the "Not enough memory" message or somthing like this. The Magick::Image::ping call takes an extremely long time. What can it be?

source image (warning: the image file is about 475Mb)

I use IM 6.9.0 + Magick++.
dlemstra

Re: large tiff ping problem.

Post by dlemstra »

The image you provided contains a really large 'tiff:37724' profile. We made some changes to improve parsing that file. Identify now only takes half a second instead of 10 seconds on my machine. But on a machine with limited memory you might still get the 'Not enough memory' error because the profile is that large.
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate
magick
Site Admin

Post by magick »

The simplest solution is to skip reading the TIFF profiles if ping is enabled. We'll get a patch into ImageMagick 6.9.0-1 Beta by sometime tomorrow.
SanjayJadhav

Post by SanjayJadhav »

Hi Guys,
Even I am trying to conver a large tiff file using Imagemagick.
But when I give a convert commad the conversion fails with no message.
Can you please let me know the probable cause.
dlemstra

Post by dlemstra »

Can you provide us with the tiff that has this problem? Feel free to contact me through a PM if you don't want to share it publicly.
.NET + ImageMagick = Magick.NET https://github.com/dlemstra/Magick.NET, @MagickNET, Donate