Preserve EXIF while conversation from TIF to TIF/TIF to JPG

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
fmw42
Authentication code: 1152

Re: Preserve EXIF while conversation from TIF to TIF/TIF to JPG

Post by fmw42 »

If you feel this is a bug or needs enhancement, then write to the Bugs or Developers forum.
whugemann
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by whugemann »

I just ran into the same problem when converting RAW into TIFF, see https://imagemagick.org/discourse-serve ... 71#p167971.

It took me some time to find out that the problem was created solely by ImageMagick that deleted the Exif information during the conversion TIFF --> TIFF. And yes, there is no way of changing this by -define or -set. So this is a bug that I am going to report.

The solution is Exiftool by means of which you may just transplant the Exif information from one image to another:

Code: Select all

magick input.tiff output.tiff
exiftool -overwrite_original -TagsFromFile input.tiff output.tiff
Wolfgang Hugemann
whugemann
Authentication code: 8675308

Post by whugemann »

This is the official answer of the development team:
The TIFF delegate library has support for EXIF but we found it to be buggy. It often caused faults and exposed a security vector. We eventually disabled EXIF. Until we see improved support for EXIF in the TIFF delegate library, you will instead need to rely on post EXIF tools to copy, edit, or inject EXIF data.
Wolfgang Hugemann