Gauging interest in SSE/multicore ImageMagick optimizations

Questions and postings pertaining to the usage of ImageMagick regardless of the interface. This includes the command-line utilities, as well as the C and C++ APIs. Usage questions are like "How do I use ImageMagick to create drop shadows?".
kmoffat

Gauging interest in SSE/multicore ImageMagick optimizations

Post by kmoffat »

Hello all, I work at Intel in the software performance libraries group and wanted to solicit your opinions on a project we're considering. My goal here is not to sell you anything and I won't even mention our product names.

We have a C library that's highly optimized for all new Intel (and compatible processors) with particularly deep content in the image processing and image compression domains. We have had some customers combine portions of our library with ImageMagick for higher performance. We're considering formalizing this approach and wanted to see how strong the interest is in this community. Since the library we have is not open source we realize that many of you will not be interested and we understand that perspective. Perhaps someday we will open source this library like we have many other projects, but that step is not in the cards for the immediate future.

What we're proposing is to offer example code that would allow you to link a portion of our library into ImageMagick to improve performance. If it wouldn't violate any licenses, we may also distribute ready to run binaries of ImageMagick incorporating our library.

Please let me know what you think of this proposal and if you have any questions. If you'd rather not post in this forum, I can also be reached at kent.g.moffat@intel.com.

Thanks very much for your time and attention.

Kent
magick
Site Admin

Re: Gauging interest in SSE/multicore ImageMagick optimizati

Post by magick »

We are always interested in ImageMagick optimizations. In general we tend towards optimizations with the greatest benefit for the user community. That is why we choose OpenMP and OpenCL. Both are standards-based and therefore vendor neutral. Although your proposal is vendor specific and not standards-based, given the prevalence of the Intel chipset we are willing to consider your proposal. To move forward we would need additional information such as what is required by the ImageMagick developers to support your library and how do we get access to the library to test the integration?
baibaichen
Authentication code: 8675308

Re: Gauging interest in SSE/multicore ImageMagick optimizati

Post by baibaichen »

Hi kent

we are looking for such optimizaiton libraries for IM, where can i download the optimizated version for evaluation?

thanks
chang